This salad is nice and fresh yet hardy and filling. Great alone or accompanying fish or pasta Serve this up for Mother’s Day and mom will be impressed, guaranteed!
Deer Tongue Lettuce and Arugula Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons country dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fine quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons very high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, for the table
- 2 cups deer tongue lettuce (substitute boston bib lettuce)
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 1/4 cup fennel, bulb thoroughly rinsed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, rinsed
- 2-3 tablespoons very fresh parsley, stems removed
- In a small bowl with a pour spout or measuring cup, whisk dijon, honey, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper together. Slowly dribble in olive oil, one teaspoon at a time while whisking vigorously.<nbsp;>
- Transfer dressing to a glass jar or bottle and chill before serving.
- Tear thick ribs and woody stems off of the dear tongue lettuce and arugula. Toss together to combine in a large serving bowl.
- Arrange the cremini mushrooms, fennel, kalamata olives, and parsley in four separate wedges on top of the lettuce mixture. Serve as is, family style. Alternatively you can toss everything to combine before serving.
- Serve the salad with accompanying honey balsamic vinaigrette and feta cheese along side.