Dill brings a fresh and mellow flavor to this spicy, mustardy potato salad. This potato salad is low on the mayonnaise, so it’s a great healthy addition to your next picnic or Bar B Que!
Fun fact: Did you know that dill is the host plant of choice for the swallowtail butterfly? The adults lay their eggs in dill and larva make their cocoon in the plant. If you have any dill (or fennel, or carrots) growing in your yard, you may just have a few special guests appearing soon!
Spicy Dill and Dijon Potato Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1lb golden potatoes, cubed (substitute any small waxy potatoes, ex. reds or fingerling)
- 1 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled, cooled, peeled, eggs and whites divided, and chopped
- Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover them. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and bring water to the boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are just fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain potatoes and place in a large bowl along with the hard boiled eggs whites. Season the potatoes and eggs with the balsamic vinegar while they are still hot. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool, about 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine remaining salt, black pepper, olive oil, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and egg yolks. Process until mixture is completely combined and smooth.
- Pour dijon mixture over potatoes and eggs and gently fold with a spatula to coat potatoes. Be careful not to break the potatoes up too much as you stir.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.