Are you in the mood for warm, delicious, comforting homemade enchiladas? Me too, but wait! We don’t have any enchilada sauce. No worries my friends, we can make our own!
Keep this enchilada sauce in your refrigerator and you’ll be ready to satisfy that enchilada craving any time of the day or night. What’s even better is that if, like me, you don’t always have the foresight to have the sauce waiting in the fridge it’s incredibly simple to whip up a quick batch.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons self rising flour or ap flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a 12 inch, non stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir constantly to combine. Cook until dark brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and water and bring to a low simmer. Stir in ground cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
Pro tip: Stir quickly and vigorously when adding spices so they do not clump.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- This sauce can be used immediately, or reserved in a jar or other air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 6 months.