These purple long beans from Green Gate Farms have a very unique look to them. In researching I found that most cooks choose to cut them into 1 inch pieces and stir fry them. However, I wanted to show off their unique look and their incredibly fresh flavor.
To do that I lightly blanched them in salted water and shocked them in ice water to stop the cooking and maintain the lovely purple color. Other ingredients featured in this recipe from the Green Gate Farms CSA are Hungarian wax peppers and fresh cilantro.
Y’all, I think the perfect time to serve this salad is at a dinner party or even Friendsgiving event. The purple long beans would be a great conversation starter!
Purple Long Bean Salad
- 1 Tbs Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 Tbs white Wine Vinegar
- ½ Tsp Horse Radish
- 1 ½ Tbs Hungarian Wax Pepper, minced
- ½ Tsp Kosher salt
- ½ Tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 large bunch Purple Chinese Long Beans, blanched in salted water and cooled in ice water
- 1 Seedless Cucumber, sliced thinly with mandolin
- 1 Shallot, sliced thin
- 1 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Fresh Cilantro, minced
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and horseradish. Slowly dribble olive oil into the mixture while whisking vigorously, creating an emulsion. Add Hungarian wax pepper, salt and black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Toss long beans, cucumber, and shallot together in a large bowl. Dress evenly with vinaigrette and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.