Pacho This year my sweetie and I spent Thanksgiving with my aunt, uncle and cousin. We spent a lovely afternoon with warm conversation, delicious dishes and Chickenfoot Dominoes.
My contribution to the feast was this hardy Brussels Sprout Salad that could easily transform into a weeknight main dish!
Warm Brussels Sprout Salad with Pistachios and Cranberries
- 3-4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tbs bacon fat, divided
- 1 shallot, finely sliced using a mandolin
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1 1⁄2 C pistachios, divided
- 1 1⁄2 C dried cranberries, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tbs whole grain mustard
- 2 tbs honey
- 1⁄4 C white wine vinegar, plus 1 tbs
- 1 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Soak 3/4 of the cranberries in 1tbs white wine vinegar plus enough water to cover for at least 20 minutes.
- Whisk together mustard, honey, remaining white wine vinegar and 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt to make a vinaigrette. Quickly whisk in 1 tbsp bacon fat. (you can combine it all in a jar and shake to emulsify)
- Heat 2 tbsp bacon fat in a large straight sided skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Fold in 1⁄4 shredded Brussels sprouts. Saute until slightly wilted. Continue folding in Brussels sprouts 1⁄4 batch at a time until all sprouts are wilted. Season with 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper.
- Stir in 3/4 of the pistachios. Drain cranberries and stir into sprout mixture. Allow to saute until warmed through.
- Remove sprout mixture from the heat and stir in half of the bacon crumbles and the vinaigrette. Place into serving bowl and garnish with remaining pistachios, cranberries and bacon crumbles.