You might be lucky enough to still have a few tomatoes left on your vines or were smart enough to pluck those delicious little jewels last week before the cold set in (in Texas). Maybe you have a brilliant gardener friend who spirited a few to you at the last minute.
However you procured your delicious gift of Summer, give a nod to their incredible fresh flavor in this Heirloom Tomato and Shallot Salad.
Heirloom Tomato and Shallot Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
- 1/4 C. White wine vinegar
- 1/2 C. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 lb heirloom Tomatoes, diced
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 tbs fresh mint, sliced in chiffonade
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk the vinegar quickly while dribbling in the extra virgin olive oil to create an emulsion. Add salt and pepper and continue to whisk until salt dissolves.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tomatoes, shallots, and mint. Toss to create a homogeneous mixture. Pour vinaigrette over the mixed vegetables. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve this salad cold or at room temperature along side any protein, especially Chili marinated Trout.